See LOCAL video series: Episode 5June 16, 2021
See LOCAL video series: Episode 6July 1, 2021
Swift Current & District & District Chamber Chat with City of Swift Current & District Mayor Al Bridal and Marty Salberg – GM Planning & Growth Development June 16, 2021 3:00pm in Chamber Boardroom
In attendance: Shaun Hanna, Vim Parmar, Karla Wiens, Al Bridal, Marty Salberg
- Ambassador program – designed to assist and expand economic development for the City of SC and our region. We can all champion the benefits of investing in our community, and Marty has packages ready to send to interested parties. There have been many recent land inquiries as of late. Please forward any and all inquiries to Marty Salberg email@example.com
- Kudo’s to the City of SC – sale of the G3 Grain terminal site to generate some revenue, and also the plan to address the land around Catholic Church will be very welcome by the taxpayers of Swift Current. The City of SC and RM of SC have developed a strong working relationship to benefit all parties.
- $990,000 COVID-19 Re-start funding has been distributed to several local organizations – SC Ag & Ex, The Lyric, etc. The pathway paving program in the City and the Creek stabilization projects are also underway.
- Property assessment – Mayor Bridal plans to ask City admin to add previous year assessment on the notices for easier comparison. If assessment goes up, it is likely property taxes will too.
- The intersection by Home Hardware and Bumper to Bumper is scheduled for completion next week, power lines are also being buried.
- Overpass at Highway #4 heading south – will not be completed with City funds, this would be a Ministry of Highways funded project. City of SC residents have an overpass on 2nd Avenue to utilize. Ministry of Highways transportation study is in the works, has not been done for many years.
- St. Joseph’s school site – Syd Tams is the developer building 20 single family dwelling and 4 – 4plex units. The goal is to provide affordable housing. Sale price of < $300,000 results in $8000 rebate to Syd. Sale price of > $300,000 results in a tax incentive program provided to the purchaser.
- When new projects are proposed, a list of local suppliers for: fabricating, welding, plumbing, construction, etc. etc. to be provided. Karla will provide list of Chamber members.
- Newcomer Orientation and Small Business Checklists have been developed by the Chamber and translated to 8 languages. Will provide to City of SC in electronic format to utilize.